Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Questions and comments specific to a particular plugin should go here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista and newer

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:04 pm

oh hey no worries m8. would be nice to know if that is the exact problem. it sure does sound like it could be.

i just need to know if windows uninstalls the drivers when you unplug it.

and looking in device manager doesn't tell you. you have to use something like that USBDView, or Auto Runs by sysinternals (from before microsoft took them over).

i don't even know if Auto Runs is available for download. it's a very dangerous app if you do the wrong thing in it you may as well kiss your windows installation goodbye. it's a very very very very in depth into the startup routine of windows.

I have all kinds of neat utilities i have collected over the many years. i even have one from microsoft that will remove a program without having to "uninstall" it. gets rid of the one pesky program that fails when you try and uninstall it and you can't remove it from the installed programs list.

:-D

that one there is a gem
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

karl_falz

Post by karl_falz » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:26 am

Hello again ;-) My apologies for the late reply.

This is really a nice utility, it is very interesting what it reveals about each USB device. No USB stick ever connected to the system seems to be forgotten...

For the eHome receiver, three devices show up in the list and when I unplug the receiver, their status turns from green to grey, but they stay in the list. Does that imply that their drivers remains loaded?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:51 am

yes it does. if it just grays out that means it is still installed but has not been removed.

karl_falz

Post by karl_falz » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:06 am

The alternate MCE service still does not reconnect after the receiver is plugged back in and a reboot is required.

To complete our investigation, I will change the power settings on the USB devices to allow that Windows can turn them off in order to save power. Let's see what happens then, if the drivers will get removed.

On another note: I have not had any problem with EventGhost not receiving events after a sleep/resume cycle for the past two weeks. That's a good sign, so many thanks for that again.

karl_falz

Post by karl_falz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:53 am

Good morning :-)

In order to conclude the investigation, I have reconfigured all USB devices and hubs in the device manager so that Windows can turn them off to save power and rebooted the HTPC. I then unplugged the eHome receiver and the corresponding entries shown in usbdeview remained present, but changed their colour to grey.

Interestingly, the drivers continue to be loaded when the receiver is unplugged even after a reboot.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:13 pm

that is typical windows behavior. i wasn't 100 % sure if that is what window 10 did or if they changed how it worked, but it is the same as it seems. but if you have a lot of USB devices and over the years plug and unplug things from the USB ports and get rid of the device the driver remains. I am going to have to get a windows 10 computer up and running to resolve the problem. i need to really dig into it to see why this happens to EG when the computer goes into standby. but i think the band aid for the moment is to turn off the computer going to sleep. i know that isn't a fix but it will stop the problem from occurring. at least until i get the time to dig into the problem or until someone else possibly finds the solution.

karl_falz

Post by karl_falz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:34 am

As far as I am concerned, there is no urgency. Since I reinstalled the alternate service and reconfigured the USB power settings so that Windows cannot turn the devices off to save power, I did not have any problems anymore after a resume; the remote control always worked.

The fact that after unplugging the receiver, a reboot is required to get the receiver recognised again by the alternate service when it is plugged back in is not a real problem either.

As I said before, in order to conclude the investigation, I have reconfigured all USB devices and hubs in the device manager so that Windows can turn them off to save power. I'll leave that setting and check if the problem reappears. That should perhaps give us some insight and I'll let you know as soon as I have news.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:01 pm

well that does tell us that something is happening with the alternateMCER service because if you manually unplug it and then the you have to reboot to get the service working again. cutting the power to the USB does the same thing as unplugging it and should cause the same anomaly. so we are starting to get a definitive answer on this one. and thank you very much for your help on this i do kind of have an idea on where to look now. but once you confirm that is the problem i can go ahead and see if i can try to fix it. Restarting the service i would imagine would fix the issue. you can try that as well if it stops working again just to make sure.

Thanks again for all of you help on testing on this.

karl_falz

Post by karl_falz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks again for all of you help on testing on this.
It's a pleasure that I can give back to the community.
Restarting the service i would imagine would fix the issue.
I tried that a few weeks ago when events did not arrive in EventGhost following a resume. Then, it did not help re-starting the alternate service. Unfortunately, I cannot test that at the moment because currently all works fine after a resume (even though Windows is allowed to turn off USB devices).

To my surprise, however, restarting the service helps after unplugging and replugging the receiver. Weird. Should the resume problem come back, I'll retest what happens after restarting the service.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:24 pm

Karl were you having problems getting eg to capture your ir codes or were you having problems getting it to execute blasts. I ask because i have also been working with this problem although im using serial communications and not an external ir emitter. My problem is that i cannot get devices to respond to learned blasts. Kgschlosser has also been helping me on this. Ive tried wiping out the drivers uninstalling the service and starting from scratch but always end up with the same issues

karl_falz

Post by karl_falz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:04 am

On my HTPC EventGhost would sometimes not capture IR codes following a resume from sleep. I do not use a blaster.

karl_falz

Post by karl_falz » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:42 am

A brief update: yesterday, the events were not forwarded anymore to EventGhost following a resume from sleep. Contrary to my findings from several weeks ago, this time the problem could be resolved by restarting the alternate service.

Hmm.

The USB power settings have now been reset to prevent Windows from turning off the receiver in order to save energy.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Karl, you might also have to tell bios or uefi to no let your usb ports lose power as well. I can't be sure about this because I have not taken a look at it in a while but I do know I have some USB power settings that are configurable in uefi.

karl_falz

Post by karl_falz » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:46 pm

In the BIOS, there are no related settings.

Note that resuming from standby normally works. The failure only randomly occurs. I have not been able to identify any cause because even if we do only the same (watch TV), the behaviour is not identical. But then again I have not recorded all actions meticulously...

Also, whenever the power settings were configured such that the USB devices cannot be turned off in order to save power, the problem has not surfaced.

ijourneaux
Experienced User

Post by ijourneaux » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:46 am

My faithful USB-UIRT died so I am trying to get an HP MCE IR transeiver to work. Receiving IR commands work. But I can't get the Transmit IR to work since the learn IR will not work. I have the the AlternateMceIrervice installed and it seems to be installed correctly.

I set the learn counter to 3 ( any choice doesn't work). As I press the button on the remote, I get

IR: 1/3 . codes received correctly
IR: 2/3 . codes received correctly
IR: 3/3 . codes received correctly
Calculating

but it never closes the dialog box.

I can keep pressing the remote, the lines above repeat

Any ideas where I might be able to look to solve this problem?