Rocket Dock Help

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.
jachin99
Experienced User

Rocket Dock Help

Post by jachin99 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:57 pm

I've installed rocket dock, and 'm looking for a way to use direction arrows to select Icons on the dock itself. As it stands right now, I need to select the program I want to launch from rocket dock with my mouse. So, for example, I would like to sit down in front of my computer, press right or left direction arrows, then enter, and have the PC launch my desired program. Thanks.

pearbear
Experienced User

Re: Rocket Dock Help

Post by pearbear » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:28 am

I'm assuming you want to use EventGhost to accomplish your goal.

I don't have any experience with rocket dock but if the only interface you can use to control it is the mouse then the solution that comes to my mind first is to use the Move Absolute action of the Mouse plugin to move the mouse to the coordinate of the next item in the dock when the keyboard plugin triggers the events for those keys. Then when the enter event occurs you use the Left Mouse Click action to launch the program at that coordinate of the dock. The problem is that you also want to be able to those keys for their normal purposes without moving or clicking the mouse. You could use the Task Monitor plugin's Task.Activated.Desktop/Task.Deactivated.Desktop events to enable/disable the folder with these macros but you may also want to use Rocket Dock when the desktop is not activated so it might be better to use a modifier key with the arrow keys and enter for the keyboard shortcuts used for rocket dock control. I find the standard usage of the Windows key completely useless so I have remapped it to an unused key in the registry and I use the windows key as a modifier key for this sort of purpose since I know that will not conflict with keyboard shortcuts for any other application.

jachin99
Experienced User

Post by jachin99 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Rocket dock is freeware, and most of their plugins look to be just a few lines of code. Can you think of a way to add code to the existing program that would enable keyboard usage?

blaher
Experienced User

Post by blaher » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:13 am

I use RocketDock for my mouse too, but if you want a keyboard driven menu, then perhaps using EventGhost's OS Menu, or OSD Multi Menu might be better?