Update Namespace unavailable in PyCrust

Do you have questions about writing plugins or scripts in Python? Meet the coders here.
kgschlosser
Site Admin

Re: Update Namespace unavailable in PyCrust

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:14 pm

nope. i didn't... not yet anyways

that will be some kind of a hidden menu or something of that nature. because you can really booger something up using it.

LOL
If you like the work I have been doing then feel free to Image

kkl
Experienced User

Post by kkl » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:14 pm

Could the problem have something to do with the *.plugin process? I just tried installing audioendpoint.plugin that Sem;colon just posted. In this case, EG hangs on the Add Plugin stage, "(Not Responding)". Again, same result on two different PCs.

It would be nice if someone else tried to install this and reported back. OK, please, would someone else please try installing GlobalMonitor.plugin or AudioEndpoint.plugin and report if you have any problems with hanging, either during installation or when exiting EG.

EDIT: OK, I just tried a THIRD PC and got the same results as above for both GlobalMonitor and AudioEndpoint, so I don't think it's specific to me.

topix
Experienced User

Post by topix » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:13 pm

@kkl: Which version of EventGhost do you use?

kkl
Experienced User

Post by kkl » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:01 pm

topix wrote:@kkl: Which version of EventGhost do you use?
0.4.1r1722

Have you tried either of these?

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:50 am

But that is what is strange. Because everything works fine for me on Windows 7 and 10 EG .4 and .5 everything installs fine and EG closes without error. But then again I am also running Windows 10 on a virtual machine.

I do have a question for ya. I can pull a hyper-v windows 7 virtual machine. And you can run it on Windows 10. Would you be willing to do that? It would be a very large download tho. At least 20 gig. I don't know what your internet is or if you have a transfer cap or the speeds. I know I have enough upstream to send that file in about 40 minutes. Or I can send over a Windows 7 iso. And you can do up a VM yourself and test. Then do the windows 10 upgrade on it and test it again. I am not sure what could be causing this. But there has to be some kind of a common. Denominator between the machines. Something that is the same with all 3 of them.

Are you installing EG to the default location? And these are clean installs yes? Meaning that it's not overwriting a previous install. And do you have the programdata/EventGhost folder deleted before install. And the appdata/roaming/EventGhost as well. Because if you aren't deleting or relocating the old config file the new install will use it and there could be something in there messing with it.

kkl
Experienced User

Post by kkl » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:36 am

I hadn't deleted the appdata folder, because I didn't know about it, but yes to deleting everything else. However, it doesn't appear to be something left behind or the new plugin installation process because of this:

I took a fourth virgin computer that has never had EG installed.
1. Downloaded new copy of 0.4.1r1722 and installed it.
2. Open and closed EG. No changes. No problems.
3. From other PC, copied just the GlobalMonitor __init__.py (v0.2b) to /Program Files (x86)/EventGhost/plugins/GlobalMonitor folder (manually created folder).
4. Opened EG.
5. Added GlobalMonitor plugin.
6. Without saving, exited EG.
7. EG didn't finish closing, same as before, icon in tray and listed in task manager.

So, I don't think it has anything to do with my computer or environment. 0.2b has only been downloaded 4 times and I think all of those were me. Without feedback from others, it will be more difficult for you to debug. Considering this, will your VM idea be useful? If you'd like, I can give you TeamViewer access to a Windows 10 computer for debugging purposes.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:16 am

ok... here is a new variable thrown into the mix

Without saving, exited EG.

new bit of information... will have to see if that is the cause of it...

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:19 am

that was the lynch pin

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last) (1722):
  File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\GlobalMonitor\__init__.py", line 727, in OnClose
    self.CloseUI()
  File "C:\ProgramData\EventGhost\plugins\GlobalMonitor\__init__.py", line 736, in CloseUI
    self.auiManager.DetachPane(self.treeCtrl)
  File "wx\aui.pyc", line 637, in DetachPane
TypeError: in method 'AuiManager_DetachPane', expected argument 2 of type 'wxWindow *'
when i installed it and saved it then exited. worked fine...

and when i installed it and no save. it hung.

so what i did was i installed it then saved it closed and reopened EG. then deleted the plugin. and presto. traceback

which is curious because the treeCtrl is a wxWindow classed item.

i do not know why the exception catching i put into place on the CloseUI() is not doing it's job...
very odd behavior

it is absolutely amazing how normal routine gets overlooked. i didn't even think to ask if you were saving it. and you didn't think to mention it. i assumed you were saving it and you assumed I thought you weren't.

and we all know what assumption is..
the mother of all %@#* Ups
LOL

kkl
Experienced User

Post by kkl » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 pm

kgschlosser wrote:ok... here is a new variable thrown into the mix

Without saving, exited EG.

new bit of information... will have to see if that is the cause of it...
I hope that leads to a resolution, but it hangs for me either way, saving or not saving. That was just the fewest number of steps to replicate the problem. Also, running as administrator or not, doesn't matter.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:11 pm

well at the very least it spat out an error i will be able to deal with. i won't be able to do anything with it until later this evening. it's my b-day and i am headed to a friends and then out to dinner. but as soon as i get somethign going with it i will let you know.

kkl
Experienced User

Post by kkl » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:14 pm

Happy Birthday! :D Hope you have a great day.

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:21 am

ok so here goes. I have a version which doesn't throw any tracebacks at me, and EG closes all nice nice if i load the plugin then don't save it. or save it and close EG. or if i remove the plugin. i tried every which way from sunday to get this thing to throw the traceback. so give it a shot.

after we solve this traceback issue i am going to see if i can get the thing to work properly with adding the tree Items. and add that "back door" to monitor other classes variables.

this is just the __init__.py so just paste it over the other version
Attachments
__init__.py
(24.37 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:29 am

ok so scratch the last post

I have gotten the tree to properly expand.. FINALLY!!!!

i didn't realize that the root item you could not set a + icon next to it to expand it.

so this is how it works. if the root item has "children" or nested classes made with this plugin it will allow for you do display the variables inside of them.
so if you have one of these said nested classes if you double click on the eg.globals tree item it will expand to display them. if not a dialog will open asking if you want to make a new variable. and this time you can make a standard variable or a nested one. if you double click the eg.globals icon it will collapse if there are displayed nested variables.

and I have not gotten this version to show the tracebacks since i did the last tweaking of it. so i am hoping those are gone.

I still have yet to add that feature you wanted. but at this point it should be a breeze. but it will change the previously mentioned explanation of how it works. which is no biggie since this is a new plugin and hasn't really found it's final controls. so look for the added feature tomorrow some time. I will probably do something to the effect of a keyboard shortcut to display an additional menu option.

attached is the egplugin file
Attachments
GlobalMonitor - 0.2.3b.egplugin
(6.89 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

kkl
Experienced User

Post by kkl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:25 pm

So close! I am getting a traceback error though:
Capture10.JPG
A reproducible sequence is:
1. After EG starts, open Show Variable List
2. Close Show Variable List panel (X)
3. Try to open Show Variable List again
4. Traceback error

Same pattern if using Show Nested Attributes instead of Show Variable List

On the positive side, no hanging on exit!

kgschlosser
Site Admin

Post by kgschlosser » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:47 am

ok it's to be expected.

but the last issue is gone i hope??

and i will have the ability to add other classes finished up this evening